The History of Church Croft Nursery School
The building was erected in 1942 on the site of piggeries and a farm. It was opened as a war time Nursery to care for young babies and children below school age for the purpose of releasing women to do war work. In the case of Hungerford this was almost entirely employment at the Chilton Aircraft factory. The children were given breakfast on arrival and it was open between 7am and 7pm staffed by a Matron and Nurses assisted by other young women who took a ‘Child Care Reserve’ course. Although young children attended daily, the staff were resident.
More information can be found here